A Way Out Inspired Me, So I Found 5 Other Co-Op Gaming Gems to Share
Rahul / July 01, 2023
8 min read • ––– views
Have you played the co-op adventure A Way Out yet? If not, you're missing out. My friend and I bonded over escaping prison together in that game, working as a team to solve puzzles and evade capture. The experience left me craving more co-op gameplay gems to dive into with friends.
Luckily, I found six other co-op adventures that will have you strategizing, surviving, and laughing with your player two. Whether you want to commandeer a starship on a space adventure or survive the zombie apocalypse scavenging for supplies, these co-op games will give you and a friend many hours of entertainment and inside jokes.
Read on for six co-op games inspired by the fun I had playing A Way Out.
- It takes two
- A tale of two sons
- Portal 2
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
If you loved the co-op adventure of A Way Out, then It Takes Two should be next on your list. This colorful platformer from Hazelight Studios provides a heartfelt story of a struggling couple, Cody and May, who get trapped in two dolls. The only way out is by working together.
As you navigate through imaginative levels, you'll take control of either Cody or May and rely on teamwork to overcome obstacles. Maybe you'll turn into animals, manipulate the environment, or just find the perfect rhythm to progress. The gameplay never gets repetitive, constantly introducing new mechanics to surprise you.
Unlike A Way Out though, It Takes Two focuses more on collaboration over conflict. You're not escaping prison here, just rediscovering the love between two partners. The story is poignant yet uplifting, reminding us relationships take effort. By the end, you'll be rooting for Cody and May.
With its blend of platforming, puzzles, minigames, and a touching narrative, It Takes Two provides the perfect co-op experience. You'll laugh, and you might shed a tear, but most of all you'll value the journey together.
Isn't that what co-op gaming is all about?
Have you ever wanted to experience the barely controlled chaos of a busy restaurant kitchen? Then Overcooked! is the co-op game for you. You and up to three friends take on the role of chefs in increasingly absurd and hazardous kitchens.
Simple recipes descend into pandemonium as you frantically chop veggies, wash dishes, and put out fires—sometimes literally!
To succeed, communication and teamwork are key. You’ll need to call out for ingredients, warn each other of impending disasters, and figure out how to navigate each kitchen’s unique layout and hazards.
The recipes start simple but escalate to multi-step dishes with specific garnishes and plating. Trying to coordinate four people to produce perfect plates of pasta or burgers before the customers storm out will have you all shouting in frustration and laughter.
Some tips for aspiring Overcooked! chefs:
- Assign each person a role like a chopper, cooker, or plater. Switch it up for different recipes to avoid boredom.
- Memorize the recipes beforehand so you know what’s coming up next. Reading instructions on the fly won’t cut it!
- Pay attention to details like which stove a pot needs to go on or which ingredients are running low. Call out when you need help!
- Don’t be afraid to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Dropped ingredients, accidental fires, and botched orders are all part of the fun. The chaos is the point!
Whether you want a zany party game or a co-op challenge to strengthen your real-life cooking teamwork, Overcooked! serves up a heaping helping of fun. Just try not to burn the kitchen down in the process!
This co-op puzzle-adventure game tells the heartfelt story of two brothers on a journey to find a cure for their ill father. You each control one of the brothers, working together to solve environmental puzzles and navigate obstacles. The control scheme takes some getting used to, as each analog stick moves one brother, but it creates a real sense of bonding as you help each other through challenges.
The fantastical world is full of whimsical details that reveal layers of backstory without a single line of dialog. The emotional journey is poignant and bittersweet, culminating in a finale that will stick with you. Brothers is a short but unforgettable co-op experience that shows how games can be a powerful storytelling medium. If you’re looking for a meaningful game to share with someone close to you, put this at the top of your list.
Some tips for playing:
- Take your time exploring the environments. There are many subtle details that enrich the world-building.
- Pay attention to how the brothers interact with each other. Their animations and sounds convey so much about their relationship and emotional states.
- Think creatively about how to manipulate objects and the environment. Puzzles often have simple solutions that require two people.
- Appreciate the emotional arc of the journey. The ending will have much more impact if you've connected with the characters along the way.
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a prime example of a co-op game that uses its mechanics and interactivity to strengthen an emotional narrative. If you're looking for a short, moving game to share with someone else, you'll find a profound experience in Brothers.
If you love mind-bending puzzles and witty humor, Portal 2 is a must-play co-op game. In this first-person puzzle game, you and a friend control robots to solve puzzles using portals and other tools. The portals create a visual and logical paradox that often stumps players, leading to laughter and “aha!” moments when you finally figure it out.
- The puzzles start simple but quickly become diabolical. You must work together closely, communicate constantly, and think outside the box. But when you do solve one, the sense of accomplishment is hugely rewarding.
- The quirky characters like Wheatley the personality sphere and GLaDOS the unhinged AI guide you through the enrichment center with hilarious commentary. Their absurd logic and observations will have you chuckling the whole way through.
- Portal 2 has stood the test of time as a co-op classic because the puzzles are so cleverly designed. No two players will solve them the exact same way, so there’s high replay value.
- If you get stuck, don’t worry - you can drop portals to get to new areas and the solution will come to you. Take breaks when needed, and come back to the puzzle fresh. Two heads are better than one!
Portal 2 shows how cooperation and teamwork can accomplish amazing feats, even in the face of impossible odds. If you want a co-op experience like no other that will challenge your problem-solving skills and make you laugh for hours, Portal 2 is the game for you and a friend.
If you're a fan of the Tomb Raider franchise, you'll love this co-op spin-off title. Unlike the main Tomb Raider games, The Guardian of Light is focused entirely on cooperative multiplayer action. You and a friend take control of Lara Croft and Totec, a Mayan warrior, as you work together to stop the evil Xolotl and retrieve the Mirror of Smoke.
The isometric camera angle gives this game an almost arcade-like feel. You'll be navigating trap-filled environments, solving puzzles that require teamwork, and blasting enemies with a variety of weapons. The gameplay is fast-paced but still rewards careful coordination with your partner. If one of you dies, the other has a short window of time to revive them before returning to the last checkpoint. This creates moments of frantic tension that really ramp up the excitement. Some of the puzzles can be quite challenging, but that makes solving them as a team even more rewarding.
The game packs in a lot of variety, with environments ranging from jungle ruins to lava-filled caverns. There are also vehicle sections, where you have to work together to drive and shoot, that provide an extra dose of fun.
Like A Way Out, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a delightful co-op experience that shows how much potential this genre has when done right. If you like solving puzzles, navigating obstacles courses, and destroying wave after wave of enemies with a friend, you'll find a lot to love in this title. At around 6-8 hours to complete, it's not too long 😉 but still packs in a ton of entertainment. For any co-op gaming fans, this spin-off comes highly recommended.
So there you have it, some co-op gaming gems to dive into with a friend. Nothing quite compares to sharing the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat with someone by your side. Now it's your turn - grab a friend, start up one of these co-op games, and make some gaming memories together.
This is my first article on something related to gaming. I wish to write more on this though. Thank you for reading. Game on!